Types of Tooth Extractions
There are a variety of reasons why a tooth may need to be removed, including the following:
- Trauma (an accident that has resulted in a tooth being damaged beyond repair)
- Extensive decay that cannot be repaired with a filling or a crown
- Deterioration of the bone tissue that supports the teeth (most commonly caused by severe gum disease)
- Infected teeth that cannot be saved by a root canal
When a tooth needs to be removed, there are two types of extraction procedures to choose from:
- Simple extraction – performed when a tooth is visible above the gum line and Dr. Mobley is able to remove it using forceps.
- Surgical extraction – when a tooth that is below the gum line needs to be extracted and Dr. Mobley needs to make an incision in gum tissue and/or bone to remove the tooth.
Wisdom Teeth Extractions
Contact Us Today
To find out more about our dental services, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Megan Mobley, contact our West Lake Hills, TX office today.