Do you experience frequent headaches? Do you notice your jaw making popping or clicking sounds when you open your mouth wide? Do you grind your teeth at night? If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, you may be suffering from TMJ disorder. The TMJ (temporomandibular joint) is located on each side of your face, directly in front of your ears. When this joint becomes irritated or inflamed, it can create a significant amount of pain and discomfort. Fortunately, there are several non-surgical methods to treat this condition, and Dr. Mobley offers several of those to her Austin, TX patients.
TMJ Disorder Symptoms
- Pain when biting down or chewing food
- Locking of the jaw when opening the mouth wide
- Popping or clicking noise when opening the jaw
- Facial pain – particularly on or near the TMJ
- Ringing in the ears
- Pain in the neck and shoulders
- Grinding the teeth at night (bruxism)
- Painful headaches – particularly in the morning
Contact Us Today
To find out more about our dental services, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Megan Mobley, contact our Austin, TX office today.
TMJ Therapy Options
Fortunately, there are several TMJ therapy options available to patients, many of which have proven to be quite effective. Some of those include the following:
- Mouth guards – Devices custom made for each patient to wear while sleeping
- Relaxation techniques – Designed to address the stress that is often an underlying reason for TMJ disorder
- Medication – For some patients who are experiencing severe pain or discomfort, prescribed medication may help to provide immediate relief
TMJ disorder can present itself with a variety of symptoms that vary greatly from one patient to the next. Dr. Mobley has a great deal of experience in treating this condition using individualized, custom treatment options.